Name:
Location: Southeastern, United States

Friday, July 01, 2005

If I kept a news blog, every entry would start "in this week's New Yorker..."

But there is an article in this week's New Yorker(some background here) that passes the smell test about Iraq better than anything else I've read. Its analysis is excellent. Anyone who knows me in real life knows that "excellent analysis" is my highest form of praise, never mind that I rarely do any analysis at all. "Poor analysis" is nearly an irrecoverable damnation. Good analysis, after all, is a gift given; making the peices work together and increasing understanding is a generous thing to do. It is not isolated and intellectual; good analysis looks and smells and sounds like the real world. One of the problems I've been having with this war is that none of the analysis - left, right, mainstream news, whathaveyou - passes that smell test for me. This article does.

Maybe I'm just being told what I want to hear. But shouldn't things make sense if they're true?

Feel free to read the article and get back to me.

love,
alex

2 Comments:

Blogger Dale said...

Hmm. I think making sense and being true would only necessarily go together in the mind of God. But it's some recommendation to the quality of someone's mind if they can make their own version of something make sense to me. That's as far as I'll go.

10:09 PM  
Blogger Dale said...

(PS I've been away from the blogosphere for a bit and, in spite of my disappointment about the lack of nekkid pictures, I'm sending a week's worth of hugs & besos --

xoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxo)

10:11 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home